10.31.2013

...hi there, nice to meet you...

...we're so excited to begin the first of our 'get to know us' 
member interviews, this little gang of creatives do so much 
great work for the world, often sacrificing time that we most
probably should have been spending on our own businesses. 
so here is the first interview where we get to know kristen 
from design kist, enjoy...



1. What's your creative thing? 
I am a textile designer - we design the patterns that go on fabric, wallpaper, clothing, furnishing, crockery, stationery, and a range of other surfaces.

2. Describe your dream studio? 
Mmm. It would be in a Cape Dutch Building, with high, pressed ceilings, wooden floors and sash windows all around, with breathtaking views. Lots of white, wood and natural finishes. A corner with an easel for painting and sketching; another corner with all my state of the art digital equipment. There will be ample shelves to display and store all my work. It will have a kitchenette, with a sink, and a small Smeg fridge and an amazing coffee maker. There will be a floor to ceiling bookshelf, filled with books on art and design, and all things inspiring - with a sliding ladder. And there would be a studio dog. A girl can dream!

3. What fuels your creative energy? 
Many things, but definitely black fineliners, coffee, and music.

4. The first creative thing you can remember making? 
I remember a drawing I did of a lion in junior school. It went into the school magazine, and it won me my first art prize. Because I was in a junior class, we didn't go to the school's prize giving, so I was called up in the next assembly to collect my trophy. I remember feeling horribly embarrassed and shy!

5. The first creative thing you were paid to create? 
The earliest I can remember was being paid to create a poster for a friend's homework. Naughty!

6. That one thing you're so glad you made? 
I created a printed fabric while studying using a piece of tumbleweed my boyfriend had given me. I loved that design, and later used it in my wedding dress when I married him. It's very sentimental to me, and I am glad I made it.

7. If you could live inside any artwork in the world, which would it be? 
Possibly Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party." Just chilling in the sunshine, with food, wine and friends.

8. If you could collaborate with one famous creative, dead or alive, who would it be? 
I would have loved to have collaborated with any of my favourite childhood authors, creating illustrations for their stories.

9. The local design magazine you always read? 
There are a bunch I always buy - House & Leisure, Garden & Home, Home/Tuis magazine, Elle Deco, Visi and Plascon Spaces.

10. The salutation at the end of your email? 
It's "Thanks", but I also use "Chat soon", "Kind regards", or K x, depending on the context. 



1 comment:

  1. An interesting idea......hope your businesses all grow from strength to strength.

    ReplyDelete